Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Kaamos

Kaamos is the finnish word for the perpetual darkness that comes in the winter. Many people living in the nordic regions of the world are effected by SAD aka Seasonal Affective Disorder. This manifests itself as increased craving for sugars and fats (aka chocolate), trouble sleeping, dramatically increased feeling of needing more sleep, tiredness, irritation, and in extreme cases clinical depression. Yesterday I finally copped up and admitted that I have SAD. I've been increasingly bad to live with, but I only admitted to having SAD, when I didn't want to knit anymore. How sad is that? (pun intended).

Last night I just couldn't bring myself to knit, on account of every single yarn I own being "all gray". I have pretty denim blue tweed, gorgeous yellow-orange-red sliding dyed wool from Estonia that made the rounds among Finnish knitters last year, Noro sock yarn that varies from bright turquoise to orange. But nonetheless, everything I own was "all grey". So I spent the evening admiring Cherry Tree Hill solid socks in colours so bright that they hurt the eyes.

The worst thing of it is, I have startitis as well. I've got waaaay too many things in the works, but nothing is getting done. Baaad combination.

No comments: