Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Knitting for peace

As the year is coming to a close I am grateful for so much. I won't bore you with all the details, but suffice it to say, I wholeheartedly agree with the Harlot that I am lucky if only because I'm able to knit. With resent events at the Gaza strip and elsewhere it seems that peace and wellbeing for all is not possible.

But I'm going to try the best that I can. Martti Ahtisaari said "Peace is a matter of will" when he accepted the Nobel Peace Prize. Even with the risk of sounding like the sort of person who makes their own granola (I'm not), I subscribe heavily to the sentiment voiced by Andy Maize of the Skydiggers at a concert before Christmas: "Things will be better if we all take care of each other than they will be if we don't take care of each other."

With that thought I'm challenging everyone around me, as well as any stragglers that might be reading this blog to make a point to do something to improve someone else's life better at least once a week for the whole of 2009. Being a knitter, I of course intend to knit many warm and useful things for people in need to be distributed by the SPR or Finnish Red Cross.

No comments: