Thursday, February 18, 2010

Adultery

I've always thought the word adultery has something to do with adults. Turns out, it doesn't. Adultery and adult have the same Latin base word "ad" which means toward. Adultery is followed by "alter" (other) and are (mark of a verb), while adult is followed by "alere" (to grow).

The point in this is mostly that today I realized I should be an adult. I recently turned 29, so I'm already going on 30. I was completely and utterly shocked. I've had a steady job matching my education for nigh on five years now. I own property together with my husband and we just celebrated our first anniversary. When did this happen? I mean sure the above is all true, but I'm also the kind of person who still checks the backs of wardrobes just in case there's an entrance to Narnia there. I'm still daydreaming about flying with dragons when I grow up.

I don't feel grown-up. Not even a little bit. It's like I've wondered down the rabbit hole and instead of Wonderland, I find myself in reality. Quite a trip let me tell you.

On the other hand, what does it mean to be ab adult? I'm perhaps not the best person to speculate this seeing as I'm not exactly feeling like an adult. As anyone would who's grown-up with internet, my first instinct was to check Wikipedia. No luck there. According to Wikipedia I've either been an adult for roughly 20 years or 11 years, so that's not really helpfull. I tried checking out the meaning of "mature" too, but that went nowhere. I'm pretty sure I share the view of Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) that adults are supposed to be the boring guys without imagination or impulsiveness. I can probably provide boring and lack of impulsiveness, but try as I may, I can't turn my imagination off. So on those grounds I can't be an adult.

I think I may have to conclude this ramble by referring myself to XKCD. I guess it IS our turn to define what being a grown-up means. And I agree that filling a room with play-pen balls is a good place to start.

No comments: